The Systems Engineer will support multi-discipline systems engineering functions at our clients shipyard in Vancouver.
The role will focus on the project and technical requirements throughout the project life-cycles of existing and future shipbuilding projects.
The position reports to the Manager, Project Engineering, under the Senior Director, Engineering & Planning.
Duties & Accountabilities
- Assist with the development of candidate concepts and conduct trade studies to aid decision support.
- Administer project and technical requirements throughout the life-cycle of ship construction projects.
- Undertake systems and sub-system design and implementation, including:
- Define and manage/control interfaces at system boundaries.
- Perform systems integration.
- Plan systems qualification, including higher level tests and trials.
- Assist with problem solving and resolution of technical issues.
- Work with Senior Systems Engineer, to develop candidate concepts and conduct trade studies to aid decision support.
- Review the impact of contract change requirements through the life of projects and the impacts from a wider project and commercial perspective.
- Collaborate closely with the Business Development team to support the submission of bids and proposals for new construction and in-services support opportunities.
- Support the negotiation and resolution of change requests from customers that are inconsistent with agreed project and technical requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering or scientific subject area.
- Proven experience in Systems Engineering, preferably with knowledge of ship/maritime systems.
- Proven experience and strong technical background may substitute education degree requirement.
- Professional Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineer in Training designation with a recognized, accredited institution required.
- Experience with supplier technical management an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, combined with strong intuition for business.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across a multi-disciplined team.
- Critical problem solver with the ability to analyze change requests, projects, and designs to anticipate schedule or budget risk.
- A lateral problem solver who can relate to broader business issues. Takes an active interest in the business.
- Willingness to spend time with each business area to gain first-hand insight into the business.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- A positive, goal-oriented individual with a sense of urgency.
- Consistently sets high standards and has to ability to manage both detail as well as big picture issues.