Marine People are searching for a Structural Design Engineer (Seating) on behalf of our client, a large shipbuilding company, based in Canberra, Australia.
The purpose of this job is to:
· Participate in the design of the submarine structure – seatings
· Provide design acceptance for the seating design
· Work to ensure the ‘build-ability’ of the structures, in relation with the shipyard.
· Ensure compliance with Technical Standards
*Seatings refer to the foundations, brackets and structural attachments used to attach equipment and system components to the submarine structure.
The Structural Design Engineer (Seatings) will be required to:
· Undergo on-the-job training in France (Cherbourg)
· Become competent in the Naval Group Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Tools including the
3D CAD tool and structural analysis software
· Adhere to export, security, ITAR and commercial requirements that apply to the design data
· Understand and apply Naval Group design and configuration management processes.
· Work in parallel with the Design Team in France within a collaborative ICT environment.
· Mentor and provide guidance to junior designers coming out of the Naval Group Traineeship.
The Structural Design Engineer (Seatings) is responsible for:
· Applying and confirming compliance to design requirements, interfaces and constraints flowed
from the Hull & Structures team
· Conduct the structural design analysis for the seating designs using structural analysis
· Provide guidance to the seating design team on topics such as:
Material properties, behaviour and compatibility
· Provide design acceptance of the seating design within the limits defined by the Hull &
· Working with subcontracted designers to achieve the design objectives
· Documenting design decisions and requirements compliance in the design justification files.
· Contributing to the preparation for design reviews
Education & Experience
· Associate or Bachelor Degree in Engineering (essential).
· Minimum of 3 years experience in structural design (essential)
· Demonstrated experience in defence, maritime, automotive or energy sectors
· Experience with 3D CAD Tools such as Catia, Solidworks, Inventor or Shipconstructor
· Knowledge of naval platforms and systems (desirable).
· Experience in production environment or trade background (desirable).
Skills & Attributes
· Displays an aptitude for creative thinking and problem-solving
· Demonstrates high levels of commitment, personal drive and application in achieving
organisational outcomes and the ability to perform under pressure.
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
· Ability to operate well in a team and to also work autonomously
· French language skills (desirable).