Marine People are searching for a Senior Manager – Naval Architecture – For our client, a shipbuilder based in Victoria, BC, Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership and direction to staff and clients as the Head of Naval Architecture within Babcock Canada, serving as the subject matter expert for the domain.
- Be responsible for the direct oversight and management of 15+ engineers, technicians, and technologists.
- Maintain Babcock Canada’s Naval Architecture domain, to include identifying required competencies, work experience, education, training, and professional development for company Naval Architects in the execution of their duties.
- Maintain Naval Architecture domain compliance with Provincial Engineering and Technology Regulating bodies.
- Provide thorough and thoughtful technical review and approval of Naval Architecture engineering documents intended for external delivery.
- Manage Victoria Class Submarines’ weight, stability, structural strength, and fatigue life on behalf of the customer; as well as review engineering changes and assess impacts on these above margins.
- Identify risks, impacts, mitigations and opportunities as it pertains to submarine safety, as well as company program evolutions (including but not limited to dockings, refits, trials, etc.)
- Identify and support new business development opportunities, including reviewing bid evaluations and ensure sufficient resources are available to meet the new demand for the Naval Architecture domain.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all Naval Architecture stakeholders including customers, partners, suppliers and other departments and divisions, both internal and external.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture from Canadian University, or recognized equivalent; Master’s Degree highly desirable.
- 12+ years’ of engineering experience in a related field (minimum of 6 years in Naval Architecture).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience overseeing and providing strong leadership to a team of technicians, technologists and/or engineers.
- A comprehensive understanding of Naval Architecture as applied to defence marine applications; submarine experience desirable.
- Demonstrated professional competence to oversee the development of structural repair specifications in a shipyard environment.
- Demonstrated professional competence in providing technical support to naval vessel docking/undocking and stability experiments; submarine experience desirable.
- Registered, or eligible to be registered, as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, meaning that you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the Government of Canada with the final dose at least 14 days prior to your start date
- You are eligible for a Canadian Secret Security and ITAR Clearance
The client supports the safety and wellbeing of their employees through the following programs:
- Contributions towards an employee’s physical and mental health
- Wellness days
- Supportive work life balance: flexible work schedule and competitive annual vacation time off
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave top-up available
- Employer matching of employee retirement contribution
- Employee recognition and bonus programs
- Support of professional development and reimbursement of membership dues
- Relocation assistance for individuals and families