The Senior Electronics Engineer is responsible for electronics engineering on new construction projects at our client’s shipyard. Under the direction of the Manager, Electronics Systems Engineering, the Senior Electronics Engineer participates in all phases of new construction design projects including requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, electrical and electronic schematics and engineering close-out activities. These responsibilities ensure that engineering projects are accomplished to the complete satisfaction of the requirements.
This role is also responsible for liaison with internal and external partner design teams to ensure that the electronics design is produced in accordance with the current equipment information and the production design standards and procedures as assigned by the Manager. This position may have junior engineering or designer direct reports and/or subcontracted engineering and designer direct reports.
- Provides engineering and design expertise in assigned areas of electronics by preparing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Supports the Manager by providing guidance and oversight to other junior engineers, designer or subcontractors.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents for fisheries, icebreaking and naval replenishment vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the Company to industry to develop understanding of involvement in Federal Fleet Renewal and continue to build our reputation.
- Provide technical direction to suppliers and subcontractors related to the Electronics Systems design to achieve contract, cost and schedule performance.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Electronics or Electrical Engineering is required.
- Strong experience in a systems engineering environment, ideally in the defense industry.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
- P.Eng is a requirement or must obtain within first year of employment.
- All applicants must be able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance and meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Registration Program and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Analyze, define and maintain customer, system and regulatory requirements in a system engineering life cycle tool for one or many communications networks
- Based on requirements, develop a communication network design for wired, wireless and information technology (IT) areas, that also satisfies various build, cost, schedule, logistics and other non-technical constraints
- Analyze a communication network design from various perspectives, such as reliability, security, buildability, maintainability, and more
- Based on a design, create communication network configurations, which includes wired network, wireless network and IT components
- Using system engineering processes verify and validate a communication network design (e.g., via documentation, testing, analysis, etc.)
- Fix and investigate various complex network issues
- Build and maintain technical documentation and strict configuration control of a communication network deployment
- Evaluate existing third-party communication network designs and their interaction communication networks, such as development of interface definitions, radio frequency interference, security assessment and more
- Specify and maintain hardware lists to support communication network designs, taking care of various related issues, such as end-of-life replacement, installation, qualification, etc.
- Support and develop technical interfaces to other groups within the company
- Prepare and execute design reviews in accordance with a system engineering process
- Above average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems.
- Solid understanding of CADMATIC and ACAD software, document management systems and databases
- Good organizational skills
- Availability and willingness to travel with such frequency as the Employer determines is vital or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to align with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules
- Exercise good judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the crucial job functions.