Purpose of Role:
The Planning Department provides a link between Project and Production by developing a plan using MS Project format which translates the fabrication into an orderly array of job activities which demonstrate a practical methodology for the completion of the work scope in the desired time frame. This is followed by the continued support of the project plan by way of amending, an interjection of additional work items, issue of revised planning and progress monitoring and updating.
The Planner is to be fully conversant with the computerised planning tools available within the company and make the most effective use of them when preparing a planning chart. They will be responsible for the interpretation of the specification and the fabrication resulting in the formulation of a logical, sequential and workable plan complete with a provisional labour forecast. Initial labour forecasts are to be produced, progress monitored and updated, critical path analysis to be carried out and records to be produced and reported to the project manager.
The future development of the present planning systems, and any external systems that they feel should be recommended for use, should always be a major objective in order to improve the overall performance of the company.
Responsibilities (Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ))
- The Project Planner is fully responsible for familiarising themselves with the site HSEQ documentation, systems and procedures relevant to their area(s) of responsibility and for ensuring that they are understood and applied to everyone within their respective area(s) of responsibility.
- Shall ensure that only safe working practices are applied by persons within their area(s) of responsibility, with care for the environment and due consideration for quality requirements.
- Shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that all persons who come within their area(s) of responsibility receive adequate information, instruction or supervision necessary for them to prevent or avoid risk to their health and safety.
- Shall ensure that a high standard of housekeeping is maintained at all times throughout their area(s) of control.
- Shall ensure that work equipment, premises and protective clothing and equipment provided within the area(s) of control are used as required and maintained in an effective state and in good working order and repair.
- Carry out HSEQ inspections as required.
- Be involved in any HSEQ investigations to establish root causes and implement corrective, preventive actions.
- Shall ensure that HSEQ problems which cannot be resolved immediately are raised quickly with their line manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Producing high-level programmes from our clients/projects outline brief to form an integrated management programme fully resourced, covering all aspects of the product life cycle, ensuring sufficient detail to assist in the interpretation of project target costs.
- Reading and interpreting owner’s specifications, project deliverables, and build requirements.
- Initiate inputs, build methods and costing for estimator’s breakdowns.
- Issuing plans for estimating, production and project personnel, and working in close liaison with them to ensure maximum effectiveness and usefulness.
- Providing labour forecast and resource profiles.
- Inputting progress and carrying out critical path analysis.
- Monitoring and coordination of the different stages of integrated management programmes, advising both management and the project teams of programme risks, opportunities and recovery plans when necessary.
- Maintain quality feedback loops to improve product accuracy and quality continuously, communication on all levels to ensure complete information loops from shop floor to management.
- Responsible for preparation, implementation and monitoring of a multi-disciplined works manufacturing programme, utilising bar charts, ‘S’ Curves and histograms in conjunction with Microsoft projects or other planning-related software as deemed necessary.
- Provide training and support as required.
- Competent with MS Office.
- Competent in the use of planning tools (MS Project).
- Communication skills.
- Experience in engineering background/shipbuilding environment.
Qualification and Experience
- Planning Qualification
- HNC in Engineering (min)
- Fabrication experience through time served apprenticeship programme.
- Commercial experience