Are you an experienced Mechanical Engineer looking for a senior role? Marine People are searching for a Principal Mechanical Engineer on behalf of our client, based in Port Glasgow, Scotland.
Responsible for the delivery of functionally integrated ship designs.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Checking of calculations, designs and drawings done by team members and sub-contractors.
- Produce FMEAs, HAZIDs and similar.
- Maintain the as-built technical specification for vessels in work.
- Produce high level system design descriptions.
- A control account manager for the stage 1 design activities, responsible for the delivery of outputs on time and budget.
- Ensure that contract requirements are met in the design, supplier contracts and the programme.
- Work closely with the new business, detail design, production and commissioning teams.
- Production of ITT packs for major equipment and services (for example prime movers, navigation systems, integrated controls).
- Manage sub-contracted elements of the design and the major suppliers to ensure they deliver in line with the requirements.
- Obtain approvals from customers and classification societies on schedule.
- Support production by attending plan of the day meetings when necessary, answering technical queries and solving problems in a positive way.
- Contribute to the test and commissioning strategy and support test and commissioning activities including Factory Acceptance Tests, setting to work and sea trials. Be a positive contributor to solve emerging problems and minimise risks.
- Support acceptance of the vessel by customer and third-party verification bodies.
- Provide leadership and management to a team of multi discipline engineers.
- Responsible for supporting the continuing professional development of team members and succession planning.
- Implement lessons learned and production enablers.
- Form positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Strong collaborator with exceptional stakeholder management skills.
- Good problem solver.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Technical expert with the ability to coach and guide others.
- Provide technical expertise and support throughout.
- Motivational skills.
Required Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience
- Experience in either Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering or EC&I (Electrical, controls and instrumentation).
- Experience in early lifecycle ship design.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Preferably Chartered Engineer with RINA, IMarEST, IMechE, IET or other relevant body.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and influencing skills.