The Principal Engineer applies expertise to act as the organizational authority for a particular discipline on executing engineering designs using the appropriate methods, tools, processes and
software. The Principal Engineer uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to act independently while guiding and training others. The Principal Engineer ensures integration of the systems into the ship and performance of the systems through to ship delivery. The Principal Engineer is a key point of contact for the discipline within the project and controls cost, schedule, technical completion and integration of defined scope within disciplines grouping of systems or deliverables.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Oversee allocated systems design in compliance with schedule and budget specifications.
- Ensure full and functional integration of the systems into the ship and validate the systems’ spatial integration into the model with all system data current and accurate.
- Ensure functional performance of the system from installation through to the test, sell-off, and delivery of the ship.
- Conduct material definition of assigned system and configuration of the material baseline through functional and production baseline.
- Coordinate with suppliers and supply chain to receive, approve and integrate technical and commercial information to support detail design and supply chain and adhere to the overall
- Support Detail Design, Planning, Supply Chain, and Production to ensure the designed system is complete and functional on schedule to support ship delivery.
- Support production planning and production with risk mitigation oversight and enabling products to support installation and build schedules.
- Ensure quality of design products and compliance to specifications.
- Key point of contact for discipline within the project.
- Progress and cost monitoring and reporting to the Project Engineering Manager and Discipline Line Manager.
- Develop and enforce discipline-specific standards.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Engineering or Naval Architecture discipline. Master’s degree desirable.
- Professional Engineer or Incorporated Engineer designation with a recognized, accredited
- Post-secondary progressively senior experience in Engineering, preferably with knowledge of ship/maritime systems, or an equivalent combination of education and
- Experience in supervising and developing people.
- Experience working with a diversely integrated project team is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
- Analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as a key part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems is preferred.
- Understanding of CADMATIC, ShipConstructor and AutoCAD software, document control systems and databases.
- Ability to work effectively across a multi-disciplined team.
- Ability to guide and mentor team members.
- Critical thinker with the ability to analyze change requests, projects, and designs to anticipate schedule or budget risk.
- Ability to work without supervision and provide technical guidance on testing, evaluating and improving engineering outcomes.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to follow all safety laws and all the employer’s safety policies and rules.
- Proficient computer skills. Working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)