Purpose of role
The role is to provide estimates for all types of vessels based on labour hours, materials and subcontractor values from specifications and drawings.
To evaluate the commercial value and technical compliance of subcontractor quotations.
To promote change and improvement within the department to provide the best possible service to other departments of the company and also to our customers and suppliers
Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ)
The Company is committed to achieving a high standard of HSEQ in all of its activities and the post holder will be expected to contribute to maintaining standards to ensure compliance with all appropriate legislation operating at all time within the requirements to ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001.
All employees have Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality responsibilities to themselves: to those they manage, to their colleagues, to customers and to everyone affected by the Company’s business activities.
- The Estimator is fully responsible for familiarising themselves with the site HSEQ documentation, systems and procedures relevant to their area(s) of responsibility and for ensuring that they are understood and applied to everyone within their respective area/s of responsibility.
- Shall ensure that only safe working practices are applied by persons within their area(s) of responsibility, with care for the environment and due consideration for quality requirements.
- Shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that all persons who come within their area(s) of responsibility receive adequate information, instruction or supervision necessary for them to prevent or avoid risks to their health and safety.
- Shall ensure that a high standard of housekeeping is maintained at all times throughout their area(s) of control.
- Shall ensure that work equipment, premises and protective clothing and equipment provided within their area(s) of control are used as required and maintained in an efficient state and in good working order and repair.
- Shall ensure that HSEQ problems which cannot be resolved immediately are raised quickly with their Line Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Producing cost estimates against the customer’s specification
- Evaluation of customer’s specification and drawings for subcontract content
- Analysis of competitive quotations for selection of sub-contractors at bid stage
- Undertake ship and/or customer visits for clarification of requirements and survey proposed work scopes
- Compilation of material take-off from specifications and drawings
- Utilisation of estimating system and Excel for producing estimates and tender documentation
- Producing detailed responses to customers specification with qualification and / or reservations
- Production of tender cost summary and bid approval sheets
- Production of tender documentation compliant with the contract requirements
- Assisting the project manager and purchasing with the evaluation and awarding of sub contracts
- Provide assistance to Project Manager prior to and during contracts on all matters relating to estimates and subcontracts
- Negotiation and agreement of contract variations with the client, suppliers and sub-contractors
- Agreement with the project manager for suppliers of material and sub-contract service
- Contract evaluation of suppliers to ensure compliance with company policies
- Evaluation of single source suppliers’ quotes to determine compliance with agreements and competitiveness
- Ensure bids/ tenders are received and completed on time
- Ability to work at Tyne and Tees sites
- Be flexible and have the ability to travel if needed to prospective clients
- Represent the company in a professional manner to customers’ clients and contractors.
- Behave professionally, and competently and ensure compliance with legislation and company policies
- It is desirable that the post holder have International Marine or Ship Yard experience. With a good understanding of the Marine, Oil & Gas industry as well as ship repair & building
- Full UK driving licence and a valid passport required
- Relationship management
- Communication and interpersonal relations
- Financial awareness
- Making decisions
- Planning and organising
- Meeting targets
- Good judgement and analytical ability
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Leadership and teamwork
Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of shipyards and marine industry
- Commercial awareness
- Estimating experience
- Data analysis, working knowledge of Microsoft Office Packages (Word/Excel/Outlook/Access) and management reporting