Reporting to the Manager, Mechanical Engineering this project specific position is accountable to the project Chief Engineer for the technical integration of a portion of the Functional design throughout all phases of the program design lifecycle.This position has peer equivalents in the project for Power Systems Integration, Electronic Systems Integration, Platform Systems Integration and Transverse Engineering. Along with the project Chief Engineer this group are responsible for the overall technical integration of the individual systems into a cohesive package delivered in accordance with the project schedule.
The Mission Equipment Integration Lead, Polar will have under them cross functional teams undertaking delivery of design information for:
• The vessel working deck arrangement and any specific internal mission spaces
• Mission Equipment and Mission Outfit items
• Any non-standard operational areas (e.g. Aviation spaces)
The teams will be primarily made up of sub contracted design agencies responsible for design and integration of specific areas of scope and may be supported by VSY engineers. As such the Mission Equipment Integration Lead will be responsible for managing the integration between a complex and varied set of stakeholders both within and outside VSY.
• Is the point of escalation for decision making for integration issues as it relates to their scope of responsibility
• Communicates integration issues to the chief engineer and peer integration leaders
• Works to resolve technical integration issues with the teams under them, their peer integration leaders and the project Chief Engineer
• Where a resolution cannot be found at the peer level the decision is escalated to the project Chief Engineer.
• Is a signing authority for integration aspects for cross functional design deliverables under their remit
• Drives collaboration between all Polar project personnel both under their leadership and outside their control
• Works with Project Engineering Managers to keep awareness of schedule adherence and help them make timely decisions
• As required, supports the project engineer and departmental heads in developing or refining task lists, lists of deliverables and schedules to provide effective management of sub-contractors
• Communicating with engineering department managers and VSY supply chain managers any performance issues of individuals working on the project to ensure that schedule performance is not at risk
• Represents the company as necessary to industry, classification societies and the customer as it relates to the Polar project